Factory Design Suites 2014
March 21, 2013
Release Notes - Readme file
This file highlights installation instructions as well as information about known issues that could be
useful while working with the Autodesk Factory Design Suite 2014. All information provided is relevant to
all three of the Factory Design Suites 2014 (Standard, Premium & Ultimate) unless stated otherwise. If you
encounter issues not covered in this document please report them to Autodesk through your reseller or to
Notes About Installation
Summary of Known Issues
Suite Product Readme Links
Return to Top
- We encourage you to install all of the products included in
the Autodesk Factory Design Suites 2014 and to install all products at once. The Factory Design
Utilities 2014 installed with the Suite are also compatible with point-products
(Autodesk Inventor/Inventor Professional 2014, AutoCAD Architecture/Mechanical
2014 and Navisworks
Manage/Simulate 2014) that were
installed prior to installing the Suite.
- Before you install Autodesk Factory Design Suites 2014, please update your operating system.
Reboot your system after all security updates, and so on, are installed.
- We recommend that you use a certified graphics card and make sure the driver is up to date. Go to our
cards and drivers page and query on the certified graphics cards
and drivers for the Autodesk Factory Design Suites. Also, review the
System Requirements document for specific product needs.
- You may need to install 2013 updates as a result of installing the Suite (and therefore upgrading to .NET 4.5).
- One third party in the installation
requires .NET 3.5. If you are running Win8 64-bit OS, please
make sure you are connected to the Internet, or you may encounter an
installation failure when trying to download .NET 3.5 SP1.
- If you are running Windows 7 64-bit, verify that you have the Microsoft fix for user
mode callback exceptions KB976038. This fix ensures that Autodesk receives the correct data from Inventor error
reports. For more information, and access to this and related Microsoft downloads, refer to technical support article
- If you downloaded the source files to a local folder with a name that contains non-English
characters, ensure that the language in Regional Settings is consistent with the language name of that local folder.
- When installing on an English operating system, we recommend that only English characters be included in the installation or deployment path.
- If you cannot select some products to install,
hover the cursor over the red "prohibited"
circle in front of the product to get more information.
- If there is blue balloon in front of the
product, please read information in it before you click Next on the
- The Autodesk Factory Design Suites 2014 install Autodesk Design Review 2013, which automatically uninstalls
Autodesk Design Review 2012.
- If installing Vault 2014 client and add-ins as part of a
Suite, Vault add-ins may not be installed with AutoCAD Architecture. To resolve the issue, select Uninstall/Change for the Vault client in Control Panel > Programs and Features, then select Add or Remove features in the Vault client install, and re-select the add-ins that need to be installed.
- If you are installing Vault Server 2014 and wish to migrate your existing Vault
Server 2013 installation and libraries, we recommend the following:
Start by uninstalling the Vault Server 2013, leaving the existing 2013 libraries untouched. Then run the
FDS installer and
install only the Autodesk Vault Basic 2014 (Server) from under the Install Tools and Utilities section of the initial
installer dialog. Now access the ADMS Console 2014 on your system and perform the desired migrations of custom content to
the 2014 release. Finally, run the FDS Ultimate or Premium installer again and install the Content Center Libraries for Inventor 2014 from
under the Install Tools and Utilities section of the initial installer dialog.
Return to Top
Autodesk Factory Design Suites 2014 support Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8 64-bit
at their latest updated versions.
Disk Requirements - Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
||Actual Disk Required
|Factory Design Suite Ultimate 2014
||Total - 32.3 GB
||System drive (required) - 16.1 GB
|Factory Design Suite Premium 2014
||Total - 28.8 GB
||System drive (required) - 13.3 GB
|Factory Design Suite Standard 2014
||Total - 16.3 GB
||System drive (required) - 10.3 GB
Return to Top
Before you begin...
- Install all Windows Updates that are pending on your machine, and reboot:
Windows 8: Windows Update is located in the Control Panel, which is accessible on the desktop Charms Bar, Settings menu.
Windows 7: Windows Update is located in the Control Panel, which is accessible from the Start menu.
It is sometimes necessary to perform Windows Update multiple times to completely update your operating system.
- Verify that enough disk space is available on your
machine to install Autodesk Factory Design Suites 2014.
Before installing Autodesk Factory Design Suites 2014 please uninstall all
prior Autodesk beta products. We recommend that you uninstall the Autodesk
Factory Design Suite beta using the Uninstall Tool provided on the Beta
Return to Top
To Install Autodesk Factory Design Suites 2014:
From the Internet...
- Access the Autodesk Factory Design Suites 2014 installation files appropriate to your purchase type.
- Follow the instructions to download and launch
the Suite installer. Temporary extraction is
to your temp folder. Operating system errors regarding very long path names can occur if this temporary location is nested
too many levels deep.
- If the Suite installer does not launch, browse to the folder where the files were extracted, and
From a USB Drive...
- Insert the USB stick in an available USB port on your computer, and wait until Windows recognizes the
device. The Autodesk Factory Design Suites 2014 installer launches automatically. If the Suite installer does not launch,
browse to the USB drive using Windows Explorer, and double-click setup.exe.
Continue the installation...
- In the installation dialog box that appears, choose the products that you want to install. To configure
a product with your preferences, click the expandable arrow under each product name and make the desired changes.
- For all Autodesk ReCap 2014 installations, we
strongly recommend that you consume Service Pack 1 to
address a known Suite uninstall issue. This Service Pack has been released and is detected automatically by the installer
if your system has an active internet connection. Alternatively, ReCap
supports update notification capabilities to notify you of this Service Pack
and automatically apply it. (If necessary, use the option to browse to a local copy of this Service
Pack 1, separately obtained, to include it in the installation.)
- Reboot the system after the installation is completed.
Return to Top
To Uninstall Autodesk Factory Design Suites 2014:
- From the Start menu, click All Programs > Autodesk > Uninstall Tool. This tool lists the majority of
products and components installed by the Suite installer.
- Select all entities you wish to uninstall and then click the Uninstall button. Exit the tool upon
- Due to interdependencies between multiple
products and components, the Uninstall Tool is unable to list every item
installed as part of a complete installation of the Factory Design Suites
2014. If you need to uninstall all remaining components, access the
Operating Systems uninstall capability on the Control Panel in Programs and Features.
Return to Top
NOTE: It is not guaranteed that files saved with beta
versions of the individual products in Autodesk Factory Design Suites 2014
migrate into the final release versions included in the Factory Design Suites 2014.
- If AutoCAD Mechanical or AutoCAD Architecture
is started from the Launchpad or command line, their
icons on the Windows Task bar can become confused and show incorrectly for the other product.
- If you encounter unexpected status of Vault Check in and Check out, please close the document and reopen it.
- If you are operating Sync AutoCAD or Sync
Inventor with Vault located files, you may encounter an issue where the Check in
button is greyed in AutoCAD Architecture or AutoCAD Mechanical. You can
check in 3D Assembly files to Vault in Autodesk Inventor; then the linked 2D
DWG file will be checked into Vault automatically.
- Annotation settings will only apply to
subsequently created asset tags; previously created tags will not be
- Annotation with Japanese Fonts (2-byte stroke fonts) such as Extfont2.shx, will not be displayed as is in AutoCAD Architecture or AutoCAD Mechanical.
- A cryptographic DWG file is not imported to
Inventor with the "Import DWG Solids" command. Removing passwords from the DWG file is a way to resolve it. Another way is using Inventor's "Open DWG" command to open the file and then close it. This will put the password into a session cache and then subsequent attempts to open
it will work.
- Please do not republish an asset created
in Factory Design Suite 2014 Beta with Annotations, or Inventor instability
may be encountered.
- When opening the DWG that is generated by "Sync AutoCAD" in AutoCAD
Architecture, the units in AutoCAD Architecture may not be consistent with Inventor.
Additionally, assets may also appear overlapped in the 3D layout.
Return to Top
Autodesk Inventor, Autodesk Inventor Professional,
Autodesk AutoCAD, AutoCAD Mechanical, AutoCAD Architecture, Autodesk Vault Basic,
Autodesk Vault Server, Autodesk Showcase, Autodesk 3ds Max Design, Autodesk Navisworks Manage, Autodesk Navisworks Simulate, Autodesk ReCap and Autodesk AutoCAD
Raster Design are trademarks or registered trademarks of Autodesk, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft
Excel are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Portions of this software copyright 1996-2008 Acresso Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Return to Top
We thank all our customers who identify issues and report
them to us. These reports give us the opportunity to improve
the product and provide you with the best solution in
manufacturing design. We also thank you for your continued
business and for the feedback regarding the content of this release.
Autodesk Factory Design Suites Product Team
Return to Top
Copyright 2013 Autodesk, Inc.