This update repairs an error opening OLE objects in drawings created in AutoCAD® 2002 and opened in any AutoCAD 2007-based product.
Description of Problem
AutoCAD 2002 objects linked or embedded into Microsoft Word cannot be opened from Microsoft Word if only AutoCAD 2007 is installed on the system.
- AutoCAD 2007
- AutoCAD Electrical 2007
- AutoCAD LT 2007
- AutoCAD Mechanical 2007
- Autodesk® Architectural Desktop 2007
- Autodesk Building Systems 2007
- Autodesk Civil 3D® 2007
- Autodesk Inventor® Professional 11 (1)
- Autodesk Inventor Series 11 (1)
- Autodesk Land Desktop 2007
- Autodesk Map® 3D 2007
- Autodesk Raster Design 2007
- Autodesk AutoCAD Revit® Series Building 9.x (2)
- Autodesk AutoCAD Revit Series Structure 3.x (2)
- Autodesk AutoCAD Revit Series Structure 4.x (2)
(1) Apply this patch only if the installation includes AutoCAD Mechanical 2007 or Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2007.
(2) Apply this patch only if the installation includes AutoCAD 2007.
Registry Backup Instructions
To backup your registry before installing the OLE Error Hotfix
You must have administrative privileges on your Microsoft® Windows® operating system to complete the backup process.
Note: It is recommended that you backup the HKEY\Local Machine\software\Classes section of your registry before applying this hotfix. If you are uncomfortable editing the registry, then ask your system administrator to complete these steps for you.
- On the Start menu (Windows), click Run.
- Enter REGEDIT to launch the Windows Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes.
- On the Classes node right-click menu, click Export.
- Create and/or select a location for exporting this file; for example, C:\ACAD\Registry Backup.
- Apply a unique name to the file. Click Save.
To install the OLE Error Hotfix
You must have administrative privileges on your Microsoft® Windows® operating system to complete the installation process.
- Close all software applications.
- Extract the file OLE-15-17.reg from the downloaded file OLEFix.zip.
- Double-click the file to install it.
Note: To restore the registry, navigate to the folder that was used to backup the registry in Step 5 of the Registry Backup Instructions and double-click the backup file you created to restore it.
- The AutoCAD command prompt may not display when running this hotfix in all AutoCAD-based products. To display the command prompt, press CTRL+9.
- When running any AutoCAD 2007-based product side-by-side with earlier versions of AutoCAD, the linked or embedded OLE object will only open in the AutoCAD 2007-based product.