Startup Error and Text Editing Hotfix
This hotfix addresses two issues in AutoCAD® 2010:
- a crash may occur when you launch AutoCAD
- a crash may occur when editing text
Description of Problems
- Certain anti-spyware programs may conflict with AutoCAD 2010 and cause the application to crash at startup. An unhandled exception error is issued prior to the crash.
- AutoCAD may also crash when selecting, editing, or creating text.
NOTE: This hotfix does not apply to AutoCAD LT® 2010, DWG TrueView™ 2010, and Autodesk® Design Review.
- AutoCAD 2010
- The following Autodesk products utilizing AutoCAD 2010:
- AutoCAD Architecture 2010
- AutoCAD Civil 3D® 2010
- AutoCAD Electrical 2010
- AutoCAD Land Desktop 2010
- AutoCAD Map3D 2010
- AutoCAD Mechanical 2010
- AutoCAD MEP 2010
- AutoCAD P&ID 2010
- AutoCAD Raster Design 2010
- AutoCAD Revit® Architecture Suite 2010 (1)
- AutoCAD Revit MEP Suite 2010 (2)
- AutoCAD Revit Structure Suite 2010 (1)
- Autodesk Inventor Suite 2010 (3)
(1) Apply this hotfix only if the installation includes AutoCAD Architecture 2010.
(2) Apply this hotfix only if the installation includes AutoCAD MEP 2010.
(3) Apply this hotfix only if the installation includes AutoCAD Mechanical 2010.
To install Startup Error and Text Editing Hotfix
NOTE: You must have administrative privileges on your Microsoft Windows operating system to complete the installation process.
- Close all software applications.
- Find the product installation folder; for example, C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2010
- In this folder, right-click the AdWindows.dll file and select Properties.
- Click the Version tab and confirm the file version. If the file version is less than 188.8.131.52, then proceed with this installation.
- In the product installation folder, rename the affected files as follows:
- Right-click the AcWindows.dll file and rename it AcWindows.old.
- Right-click the AdApplicationFrame.dll file and rename it AdApplicationFrame.old.
- Right-click the AdWindows.dll file and rename it AdWindows.old.
- Right-click the AdWindowsInterop.dll file and rename it AdWindowsInterop.old.
- Based on the version of your product, double-click Startup_Error_Hotfix_32bit.zip or Startup_Error_Hotfix_64bit.zip and extract the AcWindows.dll, AdApplicationFrame.dll, AdWindows.dll, and AdWindowsInterop.dll files to the product installation folder.
- Right-click the new AdWindows.dll file and select Properties. Click the Version tab and confirm that this file is version 184.108.40.206.
- If the ribbon does not appear when you launch AutoCAD, you can display it by using the RIBBON command or the Workspace Switching icon on the status bar.
- To remove this hotfix, delete the new AcWindows.dll, AdApplicationFrame.dll, AdWindows.dll, and AdWindowsInterop.dll files that you downloaded to the product installation folder, and restore the files you renamed in Step 5 to the original names.